Monday, September 3, 2012

Being a Selfless Leader :)

Class on thursday was just incredible. I learned so much and was challenged in ways I had never thought of before. One idea that Josh talked about was that we don't get to be ourselves all the time when we start leading at a new church. It involves a ton of self sacrifice. So many times I try to come in with all my new ideas and my own style instead of first adjusting myself to what they are used to and then slowly adding in some things that may be different. I would hate for the congregation to feel discomfort and like they don't belong to their home church anymore just because they got a new worship leader... Is my comfort more important then the congregation feeling comfort and trust in the leadership? very interesting! :) "I could either be the big leader in the dessert or I can lead the people to the promise land!" Pick up your cross.. suffer for their sake - awesome idea!

 
Another idea that I really grabbed hold of was Faithfulness and commitment in the long run. Don’t be so quick to find a place that would be a good fit for you but find a place where you could be faithful. They need someone to care for them. Rarely we get to choose the people we are leading so it is important that we recognize that we are there to serve. Basically don't be selfish. I am very selfish when it comes to worship leading I just discovered! But i am so excited to work on the things that have been exposed now.

The last thought I want to talk about was allowing older men and women of God to teach me. Even if there are things I don't agree with there are many things that I can learn through allowing them to teach me. I am young and I am excited about maturing in my faith through this class and others around me! This is going to be a great year! :)


Ephesians 5: 19-21
"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."




2 comments:

  1. These two things really impacted me as well, Brooke. I have a hard time being selfless. I know I am young, but I do enjoy learning from wiser men and women. One day I want to be the wiser man teaching and investing in a younger generation. I think it is important to seek God daily as we live our lives. Life experience is important, but life experience while leaning on God is what we need. That is how we are going to learn how to live our lives like Christ.

    ReplyDelete